[Ti] Power adapters

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Mon Oct 17 11:25:27 PDT 2005

> I have had about 6 of these 65W adapters go bad this year, right in
> my home. I threw them out and purchased new ones. After it happened
> twice I knew there was something wrong with this device. Today I
> remembered to carry my adapter, which worked fine all weekend in
> Boston, in my small carry-on bag for a flight. In the airport I sat
> down and plugged into an outlet. When I inserted the power plug
> into my closed PowerBook I saw it flash green and then go out. The
> adapter went bad in this instant.
>
> I'm a bit pissed because if it happened to me a half dozen times in
> a year, it's probably happening to many more.

I have a 550 Mhz (45W?) adapter, and within the year of buying my PB,
the plastic sleeve popped off the tip - Apple Care covered it. BUT...
after super-gluing it, it lasted only 1 more year, this time the thin
cord shorted where it left the adapter.

The one I got from Apple has lasted until now, HOWEVER, now the two
prong cord that goes into the wall shorted at the prong strain relief
portion. I have to keep the bloody thing bent at a 90 degree angle to
use my adapter. The Apple Store couldn't tell me how much the plain
old cord would cost, but told me they estimated it to be between 20
and 40 dollars!!!! I got one from someone for free (thanks!). They
just seem overpriced for how fragile they are (I suppose 3+ years is
"good" life, but I have a Duo power adapter that still works...).

At work we lost one power brick due to failure (2.5 years old), and I
know someone who has a 12" Al book that had to replace a shorted cord
as well. And, I know at work we also went through a few UFO power
bricks.

A coworker got one of the "early" 3-prong adapters, and his had the
infamous "doesn't power PowerBook" power adapter where you have to
unplug the power brick from the wall, and plug it in - can't remember
if Apple replaced his or not, or how prevalent the problem was.