[Ti] G4 667 Sleep Issue

david david at qednet.biz
Wed Apr 5 16:04:59 PDT 2006

Hi Folks

I am new to the list, I will try to behave ;)

My query relates to a G4 667 PBook which has developed a sleep issue. I
have owned this pb for about 9 months, when I got it it "slept" fine.
About 3 months ago I noticed that it would NOT wake from sleep. My
feelings subsequent were that the sleep issue developed after a routine
OSX update, but I am not totally convinced. Unfortunately my partner was
using the pb more often than me so I can't say exactly when it happened
or in what circumstances.

After some investigations I decided to reformat and re-install. I did
try all the pram, PMU and OF resets, to no avail. I was extremely
disappointed to discover the new system behaved exactly the same way,
ie, no matter how the unit is put to sleep (closing lid, power button,
time setting, menu select) it refuses to wake. The little led doesn't
pulse and the only recovery method is a power reset.

Summarising...
PB g4 667
500MB ram, 30 gig HD, current Apple firmware, OSX

Doesn't recover from sleep in OSX 10.3.9 thru to 10.4.6, or in OS9.

Also doesn't recover from "suspend" under Ubuntu Linux.

Any ideas would be extremely welcome :) My thoughts are that something
has gone astray with the pmu, I would like to be able to re-install the
firmware but that isn't an option using the Apple installer. In all
other respects the pb works fine.

David