[Ti] G4 667 Sleep Issue

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Thu Apr 6 16:21:59 PDT 2006

Don't bother trying to behave, David - nobody here does!  Even those
of us that, on occasion, try to remind folks of the rules.  ;-)

My first suggestion; remove any non-Apple RAM.  If that doesn't do
the trick, replace all the RAM with known-good RAM.  If you have two
DIMMs installed, it should suffice to try only one at a time.  Make
sure that you try them in different sockets too, because sometimes
the socket itself can be the problem.

After that, it looks like you've tried all the typical software
troubleshooting.  You might also try booting from the OS X Install
CD, and see whether you can sleep while booted from that - I'd
suspect not.

It is also possible to reload the firmware; shut down the PowerBook,
then press and hold Command and Power until you hear a long beep.
You should also see a little progress bar as it works.

It is possible that the PMU could be bad; there are two parts that
you can try replacing.  The backup battery, located under the optical
drive, should be a fairly inexpensive part, if you can find it online
somewhere.  The other possibility is the logic board; you might be
able to find a broken TiBook (same revision and same speed) on eBay
with a working logic board.  Otherwise, Apple has a flat-rate repair
service.  Send in the PowerBook, and they'll fix it for a set price,
no matter what has to be replaced.  Whether it's worth that cost just
to get sleep back is something you'll have to decide.