[Ti] Will Apple drop its OS?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Apr 6 11:30:58 PDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 4:44 AM, Tristan Gulyas wrote:

> My two cents worth - the day Apple offers Windows pre-loaded as a
> replacement for Mac OS X with an Intel-based Mac is when you can
> start to worry.

My two cents is that when Apple releases iLife for Windows you can
start to worry.

> Quite frankly, if Apple produce hardware that is up to date
> compared to Dell systems, I'd go the Apple for my next PC notebook.

Apple's Intel hardware is up-to-date compared to Dell, but it's more
expensive for the same hardware.  The new MacIntel stuff is typical
PC quality - does OK on one-off benchmarks but can't multi-task worth
a darn.  I tried an Intel Mac mini at the Apple Store that has the
Intel shared VRAM video.  The interface is glitchy and jerky just
like a PC - even Exposé isn't smooth.  I went to /Applications,
pressed Command A, Ctl click and select "Open".  It crashed it in
front of God and everybody, right there in the store.

My old PowerPC 1.25 mini will chug away on that one until everything
is launched and running, and never skip a beat.  If you're buying it
to run Windows, go with the (cheaper) Dell because there's no
hardware advantage in going with Apple.
--
Chris