[Ti] MacBook Pro 17" released

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Apr 25 04:54:02 PDT 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Lisbeth Zachs wrote:

> You can run Photoshop perfectly well in Rosetta. It works at about
> the same speed as it does on your present Albook

Maybe if you don't use it for anything, it does.  One of our sales
staff got a new macbook pro and was showing it off.  A couple of us
from engineering hadn't seen one in action yet so we tried a couple
of our own "benchmarks".  The macbook pro didn't have the full
Photoshop, only PSE, but I don't think it makes any difference.

We applied a radial spin blur, 30°, best quality, to a 550 MB
photoshop file.  It took my PowerBook about 5-6 minutes to complete.
2 hours later the macbook pro was still locked up and barely
responsive.  It's performance with Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt rending a 3D
model of a turbine compressor blade was even worse.

So while I'll agree that Photoshop works OK for very light use on the
macbook, if you use Photoshop as a professional, it's not even close
to fast enough.
--
Chris