[Ti] Best place to buy TiG4 ram?

T Molnar tam at em.ca
Thu Feb 2 20:23:33 PST 2006

Ah...Europe, Right, Sorry.
Still, I don't think shipping charges are the reason to not order for
something so small as a Ram chip.

I am in Canada which still involves international shipping charges (via
air) from the US.
My 512 mb chip was $ 94 USD ($109 Canadian, and now this chip is on
sale at OWD for $91 USD) + $17 USD ($ 19 Canadian) international
shipping ($21 for Paris, France in comparison) + provincial and federal
gov't taxes 14% of chip value ($ 23 Canadian).
No duty on the chip (NAFTA)
Total Canadian $151

In Canada it was $158 Canadian (the lowest price I could find) + $ 23
taxes (no handling, no duty
Total Canadian $ 181

So I saved $ 30 Canadian or $21 Euro's or $26 USD

Sending to Paris France is like $21 USD international FedEx,
$ 4 USD more than I paid or $ 4.5 Canadian or $ 3 Euro's

So...in essence unless there are import duties or much higher taxes in
the EU or both
for whatever country (and there well may be I don't know), it's not all
that certain you will pay
more getting it through the US.  It won't be the shipping charges that
make don't
make it feasible more likely duties and country taxes.

OWC does ship to Europe, they do have quality guaranteed chips at good
prices.
No doubt there are several factors to consider.

But I realize some people aren't loaded with a lot of $$ like me since
I am back being a univ. student, ;-)
LOL (geez how I wish it were true) :-)

Anyway, that's about what I know on the subject.
regards and happy RAM hunting :-)

tim

ps...this response took much  longer than it did to order on line and
wait. :-)
My chip arrived a within the week.
It's running my venerable tibook quite nicely. :-)
If nothing else go price it out at OWC for comparison purposes just be
aware of possible taxes and duty.