[Ti] MacBook Pro 17" released

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon May 1 21:01:10 PDT 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> Given that you don't consider Photoshop do be a worthy application
> that pushes the limits of the processor, wouldn't you then agree
> that you are outside the envelope of the 'typical' user? Aren't
> your uses just a bit towards the extreme?

Depends on what you consider "typical", I guess.  I'd say you have
"typical" consumers and "typical" professional users.  The sales
staff at the Apple Store will tell you right out that if you use
Photoshop professionally that the MacBook is not the machine for you
until there's software for it.

As far as "extreme" use, the "typical" consumer will never even need
Photoshop, and if they use it they probably never work with anything
over a 40-50MB PSD.  Photoshop isn't even one of our main apps, and
we have PSD's that are 500+ MB - but that's not "extreme".  It's
"typical" professional-level use.  And the MacBook Pro doesn't even
_begin_ to handle one of those files competently.  Until it can, it's
definitely *not* a "Pro" machine.
--
Chris