[Ti] MacBook Pro 17" released

John simplymail at ururk.com
Sat May 6 18:10:03 PDT 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 12:01 AM, Chris Olson wrote:

> On May 1, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>
>> Given that you don't consider Photoshop do be a worthy application
>> that pushes the limits of the processor, wouldn't you then agree
>> that you are outside the envelope of the 'typical' user? Aren't
>> your uses just a bit towards the extreme?
>
> Depends on what you consider "typical", I guess.  I'd say you have
> "typical" consumers and "typical" professional users.  The sales
> staff at the Apple Store will tell you right out that if you use
> Photoshop professionally that the MacBook is not the machine for
> you until there's software for it.
>
> As far as "extreme" use, the "typical" consumer will never even
> need Photoshop, and if they use it they probably never work with
> anything over a 40-50MB PSD.  Photoshop isn't even one of our main
> apps, and we have PSD's that are 500+ MB - but that's not
> "extreme".  It's "typical" professional-level use.  And the MacBook
> Pro doesn't even _begin_ to handle one of those files competently.
> Until it can, it's definitely *not* a "Pro" machine.

I have a stock Core Duo mini...

Photoshop CS (dunno about CS2) is slow to start, but once inside it
is OK, as long as you:

1) not switch between another application and Photoshop (beachball)

2) stick to things like slicing, or droplets/actions

3) save infrequently (saving seems to take a bit)

4) crop/resize infrequently

I wouldn't really try working with a large PS file on the mini, though.

Filters - they aren't terribly slow as long as you are only doing one
or two.

MS Office runs OK. I would have to say that Flash 2004 runs AMAZINGLY
well, Dreamweaver 2004 is so~so (bearable as long as you code inside
the code window).

What I find amazing, is that compared to my 867DP and a Dual 2 G5,
the mini processes RAW Canon 20D photos (in Preview) much faster. I
haven't timed it, but it's "subjectively" faster.

So... basically I wouldn't recommend a MacBook (and held off buying
one) till CS3 comes out if one works heavily in Photoshop.

It's a shame, but I think for some applications it will help improve
the quality of the product - ie, PS, Illustrator, may start to share
more in common (they've both been "merging" features slowly). If I
recall correctly, neither are Xcode based.

Anyhow, those are my two [OT] cents.

John Pariseau