[Ti] Macbook pro version 2...

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue May 9 23:07:14 PDT 2006

Chris Olson <chris.olson at astcomm.net> writes:
> Your data is inaccurate.  Show me what production Intel cpu you've
> ever seen that spec'd out agreeing with the product data sheet?

And I'm supposed to believe you on this?  The data I used was from
the recommended maximum current supply.  If they're exceeding that,
then you'd have designs that won't work because there's too much
voltage drop on the PCB's Vdd planes.

> You can grab a 40 watt light bulb and it's barely warn to the touch.

You must have hands made of asbestos.

> Any cpu that gets that hot simply because of misapplied thermal
> conductivity paste pulls more than 31 watts.  Like I said, Intel
> tends to be horribly optimistic.  For pete's sake, you can cool the
> hottest-running G4's with a passive heat sink that takes up way less
> room than the thermal pipes and sink on the Core Duo.  Anybody with a
> brain should be able to read between the lines.

Again, you're talking out of some orifice that I have to assume is
not your mouth.  I'm currently designing a board whose main component
dissipates less than 8 watts.  It has a medium-sized heatsink, uses a
flip-chip package (aka there is very little thermal resistance
between the silicon and the heatsink) and our thermal simulations
show that we will need at least 150 linear feet per minute of airflow
to keep it cool under the full temperature range.  Our operating
temperature goes higher than Apple's (55°C instead of 35°C), but so
does the maximum junction temperature (125°C instead of 100°C).

So if the thermal paste is in fact causing problems, it's not
terribly unreasonable, because any miniscule changes in the cooling
system can have a huge effect.  And I haven't seen the cooling system
in the MacBook Pro, however I've seen the one from the 17" PowerBook
G4, and it's rather large too.  Seeing as how there's not much room
for it to increase in size, I have to assume it's similar in the
MacBook Pro.