[Ti] encoding video

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Fri May 19 19:32:26 PDT 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 2:09 PM, Dr Trevor J. Hutley wrote:

> Chris - I now see that there many options available for the H264
> encoding process.
>
> Which parameters do you use, to get such high quality?

If the movie is not widescreen format I resize or crop it with a mask
to 640 x 480 (standard NTSC TV res), then use the "Movie to iPod
(320x240)" encode which is very fast and about the same quality as
the videos you buy on iTMS.  These will also play on your iPod as
well as scaling perfectly fine to 800 x 600 resolution on a big
screen TV set to NTSC.  You may see some very minor pixelation in
dark areas (blacks and browns), however lowering the contrast on your
TV doesn't detract too much from picture quality and gets rid of most
the pixelation.

If the movie is widescreen format I encode it at 720p resolution,
30fps, automatic data rate, automatic key frames, best quality, multi-
pass encode.  However I never use my PowerBook to encode 720p video -
I have a DP PowerMac G4 with the cpu's overclocked to 1.92 Ghz that I
use for encoding HDV.  The PowerMac will spend a good 7-8 hours
encoding a feature length 720p movie.  I have no idea how long it
would take the PowerBook, as I never tried it.
--
Chris