[Ti] Tom's MacBook Doesn't Always Start

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 24 07:02:54 PDT 2006

Actually Jerry, the MacBook has thousands of hardware components, not
hundreds.  ;-)  All the same, I strongly disagree with your
assertion; RAM is probably the most complex hardware inside the
machine, and is typically manufactured to the lowest quality -
especially if it's not one of the major brands (Samsung, Micron,
etc.), and sometimes even if it is (Infineon, for example, is one of
the major ones that I've seen have more problems than normal).
Micron puts it best on their web page (somewhere, at least - I saw
this years ago); if a RAM manufacturer doesn't catch a fairly large
number of bad dies in their manufacturing process, they are in a bad
situation: it means either that they are letting through a large
number of bad dies, or they aren't manufacturing to the absolute
limits of technology, and are falling behind every other RAM
manufacturer.

Furthermore, a lot of the large companies will sell off their
marginal products (sans the brand name) to smaller companies, which
will package and sell the broken product.  Discount RAM vendors (like
1-800-4-Memory) have some of the worst memory out there.  Apple's
memory will be among the best, but Crucial (crucial.com) is about the
same quality, for a much more reasonable price.

Having done Mac repair at an AASP, I can tell you bad RAM can cause
absolutely any problem.  I can also tell you there's no test that
will catch 100% of bad RAM.  Apple's RAM test tells you as much about
your RAM as your mechanic would tell you about your car if he glanced
at the outside of it for 2 seconds; he can tell you if you were in a
major accident, but if your engine needs a tuneup, he'd never know.
As far as RAM tests, the AASP I worked at had a $5000 RAM tester that
worked fairly well, but sometimes, you just had to remove the RAM and
test the computer without it.  Problems are magnified because bad RAM
leads to disk corruption, so replacing the RAM sometimes isn't
enough; the OS and disk directory are corrupted as well.

Tom, I'd recommend (as painful as it is) using one gig at a time.  If
you still have the original 512, stick that in too so you're only
down half a gig...  Try it for a couple weeks, then switch the
DIMMs.  You can try Apple Hardware Test (which came on the install
DVD with your computer), or giving it to either the manufacturer or
Apple to test, but they're likely to use AHT, Apple Service
Diagnostics, or some other software tool to verify the memory.  In my
experience, these software tests catch at best about 5% of all bad
RAM.  If they have a hardware tester (ie RAM is physically removed
and placed in a system designed entirely for testing RAM), I'd have
better confidence; maybe 75% if it says your RAM is good.  In either
case, if it says your RAM is bad, I have 100% confidence that it's
right.

Kynan Shook
kashook at wisc.edu
http://homepage.mac.com/kynan/