[Ti] Tom's MacBook Doesn't Always Start

T.L. Miller tlmiller at mac.com
Tue Oct 24 16:57:17 PDT 2006

On 10/24/06, at 9:02 AM, Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu said:

>Tom, I'd recommend (as painful as it is) using one gig at a time.  If
>you still have the original 512, stick that in too so you're only
>down half a gig...  Try it for a couple weeks, then switch the
>DIMMs.  You can try Apple Hardware Test (which came on the install
>DVD with your computer), or giving it to either the manufacturer or
>Apple to test, but they're likely to use AHT, Apple Service
>Diagnostics, or some other software tool to verify the memory.  In my
>experience, these software tests catch at best about 5% of all bad
>RAM.  If they have a hardware tester (ie RAM is physically removed
>and placed in a system designed entirely for testing RAM), I'd have
>better confidence; maybe 75% if it says your RAM is good.  In either
>case, if it says your RAM is bad, I have 100% confidence that it's
>right.

The vendor the 2 gigs came from was very willing to take it back and
replace it in case it was defective -- I'm mailing it tomorrow. I
reinstalled the original 512 megs (MacBook seems a lot slower!) and I'll
let you know what happens after I get the 2 gigs back.

Thank you for the very informative message.

Tom Miller
"The only time we see the middle of the road is as
we run from side to side." R.O.Clark