[Ti] Wireless Cable Modem

Scott Strehlow strehlow at usermail.com
Fri May 4 16:13:40 PDT 2007

> What are thoughts about the best Cable modem/router
> wireless for our beloved Macs and an errant PC?

I have a Belkin F5D7230-4 which has served me well for several
years.  I first used it just to wirelessly share a dial-up connection
from one of my Windows boxes.  Later, when I got cable internet, I
plugged it into the cable modem.  I get so-so range with my G4
Titanium 802.11b (about 50 feet), but I think that is the Mac's
fault.  My wife's Compaq can go well into the yard, with the access
point in the center of the house.  My Intel MacBook can connect to it
from a block away, based on a quick test.

The only problem I've had with the router/AP was during a firmware
upgrade.  Something crashed mid-flash.  That made it a nice
paperweight.  Belkin shipped me a free replacement.  I did need to
send the old one in first though.  I was without it for about a
week.  I could have bought a new one first and gotten credit for it,
but I was not in a big hurry.

I'd get another one of these if I were starting out again.  Of
course, you can get an Airport Extreme base if you want the print
server function too.  They are unnecessarily pricey though, in my
opinion.

Scott