[Ti] TiBook Gigabit Ethernet Replacement advice sought

Arjan Bos arjan.bos at hetnet.nl
Wed May 9 11:11:59 PDT 2007

Dear list,

I've been part of this list since I bought my TiBook 667 Gigabit
Ethernet in March 2002. I've always valued the collective wisdom of
its crowd[1]. And now the time has come for me to sap into this wisdom.

I would very much like to replace my TiBook with something brand-new
and shiny and I'm contemplating between the various MacBook and
MacBook Pro options available. I use mine for administration, excel,
word, pages, iPhoto, iWeb and some java development of a client-
server app which runs a PostgreSQL data base. I'm contemplating
learning Objective C and using XCode.

I would very much value your input on the following points,
especially on the Rosetta performance.

Apps: Does Microsoft Office under Rosetta outperform my TiBook? Will
it outperform my PowerMac G4 1.42Ghz dp?
Does the PowerMac G4 run Photoshop CS faster or slower than a MacBook
or MacBook Pro?

Hard disk: should I go for speed or size?
Video: Should I go for the MBP [2]
Screen: Do I really want glossy? Do I need a 17", or will the MacBook
screen be suffficient?

TIA,

Arjan Bos
--
TiBook 667MHz, 1GB Ram, 30 GB HDD, 16MB ATI Radeon, with paint flakes
but otherwise in perfect condition.

[1] Even in the iTunes Music Store rant with ~flipper, I do miss him.
[2] MBP doesn't quite roll of the tongue as TiBook does doesn't it.