[Ti] firewire port appears to be dead

rob morris rob.morris at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 12 08:00:38 PST 2007

> From: Randy Suinn <rms6 at pvhs.org>
> Subject: [Ti] firewire port appears to be dead
> hi all,
> I have a 15" titanium (500mhz?).  One day my firewire port stopped working.
> The ext drive spins up but the volume doesn't mount to the desktop.
> I tried another firewire device and another cable to no avail.  FW device
> never appears in the About this Mac.
> btw, laptop was running off of AC each time becuz my battery is almost dead.
>
> Could the port be fried?
>
> And if so, is there a way I can fix it myself?

There were know issues with the firewire ports on these Ti models, the 400
and 500 Ti books.  Is yours a 500?  You can use the about this mac under the
apple to find out.  I would zap your PRAM several times, do a PMU reset, etc
first.  You could run your hardware test off of the install DVD to see if it
is a problem with the port.  If it is the port, then short of a new logic
board, i do not believe much can be done.