[Ti] Bluetooth problems

mystshummer hummer at mysterygirl.net
Wed Dec 10 15:33:55 PST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 2:05 PM, Scott Strehlow wrote:

> You might want to boot from the system CD and see if the Bluetooth
> device shows up then.  That way you are eliminating many
> variables.  If it does, then you have some driver conflict from
> things installed on your hard drive.  If it doesn't show up, then
> I'd suspect that either the USB port has problems, or the Bluetooth
> device is having trouble.  Have you tried it on a different
> machine, PC or Mac?  Then you can verify that it is OK.

The Bluetooth Device is ok on all the other Macs. I have a MacBook
Pro with the Intel dual, a new iMac, a 4 yr old G5 bought exactly
when the new Cinema Displays came out - bought the new one instead of
getting the older version with a big discount. (If I listed all the
Macs I have we'd be here all day) This is my private machine where no
one else has access.

>> Scott, thanks for responding. I do have the Missing Sync for the
>> PDA before the World Edition Blackberry. I used it for the last
>> Sony Clie and it was usually pretty good. I was able to use
>> Vindigo on it also. One big problem though - the Ti had been sent
>> to Apple and when it was returned, they had installed a slightly
>> different OS and I can not get the HotSync to work at all.
>
> So Apple wiped it?  If so, you could back up your files, and wipe
> it again with the OS disc you have, in the version that was
> working.  I don't think you can downgrade the OS without reformatting.

I took it to the Apple store and they sent it out for the one price
fix all which included a new HD, new USB, Firewire, Optical Drive,
broken hinge and a few other things that went "bad." Personally I
think they just sent me a different machine. This had already been to
Apple before because the paint that goes around the perimeter of the
lower half had peeled and cracked horrendously.  Even though I had a
full backup of my system, I paid the extra so that they could also
back up and then re-install. The newly installed system was for
another powerbook - a few things were different.

> It is possible that it was something else they did to the machine
> killed the hotsync, and not the OS change.  You might be able to
> test the hotsync just by booting from your OS CD (see above) to
> rule out that issue.

I will have to find the original CD and boot up with that and also
run disc repair/aid. I have Disk Warrior which I haven't run in quite
a while, so perhaps do that too.

> Missing Sync is very particular about OS 10.4 and what order things
> need to be done when upgrading to it.  Do you have 10.3, 4, or 5?

I have 10.4.11  - I literally have no more space on the machine to
upgrade. I'm down to 1 gig of free space and where I could leave this
thing in sleep mode for weeks at a time without rebooting, I now have
to reboot either once a day or if lucky I can get 2 days.

>> Missing Sync relies on Palm Software, and without the two
>> important components for the Conduits - it will not work.
>
> Yes, but only for syncing with a Palm device.  As you mentioned
> below, you should not need it for the Blackberry.  That version of
> Missing Sync should come with whatever it needs.  You might not be
> able to have the Palm version installed at the same time as the
> Blackberry version.  I don't know.
>
> I think I'd explore the USB issue first.  Then if they all check
> out, go after the syncing problems.

I'll give it all a try. I rely heavily on this machine and without
working USB ports, I can't update the iPod, upload my digital photos,
etc.

Btw .... in the pile of iPods, I swim every day with the last version
of the iPod before the touch came out. I have a waterproof cover and
today I discovered that there are rusty spots on the bottom around
the opening that plugs into the charger.

When it rains, it pours.

Thanks again

http://www.mysterygirl.net
http://www.mysterygirl.net/hummergirl.html