[Ti] why people use a tibook

Simon Royal mail at simonroyal.co.uk
Wed Mar 25 06:13:21 PDT 2009

Hi

iBook G3s are the least reliable with almost all of them suffering from the
graphics chip problem. iBook G4 still suffer from it but not as bad as the
G3. The Clamshell iBook G3 are pretty reliable but are getting on a bit
now.

>From experience I can vouch that PowerBooks are very reliable. I have had a
bout 7 without much trouble. A 1400cs, a G3 Wallstreet, 2x G3 Lombards, a
G3 Pismo, a TiBook 400Mhz and a TiBook 867Mhz (my current machine).

None of them suffered from anything major or fatal. And they just seem to
be better powered than the iBook range, probably because the PowerBooks
were aimed at business users, they also seem to be built like tanks - and
while some of mine have been a bit battered cosmetically, it has not
stopped them working.

Simon

--- Visit my Mac site at http://www.simonroyal.co.uk. Or Skype me on
'Simon-Royal'. (Apple PowerBook G4 867Mhz, 768MB RAM, 80GB HD, SuperDrive.
Mac OSX 10.5, 10.4 & 9.2.2...)

On Mar 25 2009, Clare O'Farrell wrote:

Hi Simon

That's an excellent story. My own tibook has certainly been very
reliable and a real pleasure to work on. Nobody (particularly in the
windoze world) would know to look at it that it is an ancient machine.

Which have you found are the worst apple laptops in terms of
reliability? I read that the coloured clambooks had the least
problems overall but they are really ancient machines now.

Marcus, I am looking at the quickertek wireless cards as a solution
to the wireless problem on the tibook.