[X-Apps] OS X remote control drivers for Nikon Coolpix

hart at nasw.org hart at nasw.org
Fri Jul 11 09:44:11 PDT 2003

> From: John Pariseau <simplymail at ururk.com>
> You may want to check out photoPC, the Unix version can be compiled on
> the OS X end (it has a CLI).

We found info about PhotoPC, but as you point out, the hassle level is
high, too high in our case. We have access to a Nikon remote, which
will has some of the features you might want. It interfaces by way of
USB, so I don't understand why a computer connection couldn't. Perhaps
you'd have to buy and hack the remote itself.

> From: Suzanne <wrightmiller at peoplepc.com>
>
> I use Nikon view 5
>
> From: John Pariseau <simplymail at ururk.com>
>
> I think (perhaps I was mistaken) he was asking about remotely
> controlling the camera, ie, being able to make the camera take a
> picture, configuring fstop, etc... through software. I think all Nikon
> View does for you is download the images and catalog them. If running
> OS X, iPhoto (and Image Capture if the camera is not a USB Mass Storage
> device) should work well, although I don't use either too often.

It was my understanding that Nikon View doesn't do any more than iPhoto
does. And as iPhoto works perfectly (although we are looking forward
eagerly for the next update, which we hope will fix a number of speed
issues with large libraries), why bother with another piece of software?

Thanks for the responses.

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com