[X-Apps] OS X Entourage import onto Mail nightmare

Allen Watson allenwatson at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 16 11:47:31 PST 2003

On  Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:44:42 +0000 Tim Allen <zen8595 at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:44:42 +0000
> Subject: [X-Apps] OS X Entourage import onto Mail nightmare
> From: Tim Allen <zen8595 at zen.co.uk>
>
> Hi
>
> I'm pulling my hair out with this one. I was using Outlook Express in OS9,
> and was getting ready for the switch to Jaguar. I was going to be getting
> Office for X and I knew you couldn't import Outlook Express data straight
> into it easily so I left the Mac overnight import all my Outlook data into
> OS9 Entourage. Then in X I planned to import from OS9 Entourage into OS X
> Entourage. I hope that made sense so far.
>
> Anyhow, money's short so I'm not getting Offie X anymore, so I thought I'd
> use Mail instead. BUT, when I launch Entourage in Classic it doesn't see my
> data anywhere, so of course when Mail tries to import it there's nothing to
> import. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? It doesn't matter where I put my
> Identities folder, Entourage running in Classic doesn't see it. At the
> moment I can't switch to OS X which is driving me nuts, and it's all because
> of this problem. If anyone has got round this I'd love to know how!

If you have a Documents folder, Microsoft Entourage will create a "Microsoft
User Data" (MUD) folder in that folder. If you don't have a Documents
folder, but you are using Mac OS 9 (only!), Microsoft Entourage will first
create a Documents folder, then create MUD inside it. MUD contains copies of
"Entourage Script Menu Items" and "Entourage Sound Sets", as well as an
"Identities" folder. (If you have a MUD folder in Documents, and want to add
new scripts or sound sets, you need to add them to the folders in MUD.)

Without a Documents folder (and not using Mac OS 9), Microsoft Entourage
will create an "Identities" folder in the application folder. The "Entourage
Script Menu Items" and "Entourage Sound Sets" that ship with Microsoft
Entourage (i.e., those in the application folder) are used.

It is also possible that you have multiple identities inside the Identities
folder. Look there, or in Entourage, choose Switch Identity from the menu
and see if there are other identities listed. Try switching, if so; you may
find your data is stored under a different identity.