[X-Apps] Shrinking PDFs

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 2 07:23:03 PST 2004

On Feb 2, 2004, at 9:06 AM, John B. Thoo wrote:

> On Monday, February 2, 2004, at 06:04 AM, Lotas Smartman
> X-Applications you wrote:
>
>> PDF Shrink does the job. its on version tracker here
>> (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16233). it also
>> combines PDF files (if i have the correct one. i might not...)
>
> Lotas Smartman, thanks for the suggestion.  I will take a look at PDF
> Shrink.  I scanned 25 pages of a document yesterday using VueScan,
> saved the pages to PDF from the Print box, and put them together into
> one PDF file using Acrobat 5.0.5.  The result was a whopping 43.5 MB
> PDF file!  I hope that I can try PDF Shrink before having to pay.

I was putting a PDF form with some javascript together yesterday (in
Acrobat), and as I tweaked and re-saved it, I noticed the file got
bigger and bigger every time I saved it. At first, but just a few dozen
k, but after a while by 500k each save. Fortunately, it occurred to me
to try doing a "save as" to a new file, and that does seem to reset the
process, so I got back from a 2 MB file to a 160k file. Don't know if
that works in every case, but it does seem to help Acrobats problem
with growing PDF files.

SR