[X-Apps] Sending large attachments

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Mon Jul 12 12:28:59 PDT 2004

On Jul 11, 2004, at 09:16, Ed Graf wrote:

> I wish to send an email with a largish attachment (CD image that when
> stuffed is just under 300 meg).

If you're running your own mail server, go check the logs, as there is
probably a message in it about this.  If you're not running your own
server, I would imagine there is a conversation going on something like
this, where CLIENT is your MUA (e.g. Mail, Eudora, Entourage) and
SERVER is the mail server that your mail goes through:

CLIENT:   EHLO <hostname>
SERVER:   200 Hello, <hostname>
CLIENT:   MAIL FROM:<someone> SIZE=999999999
SERVER:   552 That's too big.  Go away.
CLIENT:   QUIT

Depending on the client and that you use and the MTA you are talking
to, you may or may not get some feedback about this failing.  If you
are using Mail, which version are you using?  When I try sending a 10MB
file, I get a nice bounce notice from my mail server saying that the
message size exceeds the allowed limit for the server I'm trying to
use.

I don't think you're going to find many (if any) MTAs that will pass
e-mail as large as you want to send; some MUAs won't handle it either.
E-mail is really for sending small amounts of data, not vast quantities
like 300MB.  Snail mail a CD of this data, if you have no way to share
via FTP, HTTP or rsyncX.

Hope this helps,

Gretchen