[X-SW] pda-ibook combo recommendation please

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue Jan 4 18:07:16 PST 2005

You might first focus on examining the Tungsten E.  I cannot say this
will support your specific requirement.  You'd have to find compatible
PDA software.  Look at www.palm.com/tungstenE.  And maybe even Google
"Palm MySQL"  .  But the Tungsten E is a middle of the road, not too
fancy, PDA for less than $200, maybe a bit less by now because it has
been around for over a year.  It will transfer data via USB.

On Jan 4, 2005, at 10:23 AM, Warren Pollans wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please feel free to point me elsewhere.  I'm a few years behind -
> technology-wise - but here goes :-)
>
> I would like to use a pda (simple - no color, no sound, no automatic
> coffee maker, etc) to display data that is currently stored in a mysql
> database on my ibook (~200 KB) - occasional data entry on pda is also
> required- so I'll need to be able transfer data between the pda and
> ibook - usb?. The data I want to be able to display/transfer/enter is
> text- the longest field is less than 256 bytes. I must be able to
> search
> the DB on the pda to find the record I want.  Right now, I believe I'll
> only need to retrieve one record at a time.
>
> QUESTION:  could you point me to a pda that would do what I want - OR
> do
> they all do this?  Are there any that do not interface well with OSX
> (10.2.8) on the ibook?

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.