[X-HW] Rant: These Bloody Ventilators!!!

Morgan Reed morganew at mac.com
Sun Jan 5 09:29:44 PST 2003

>> and I suuure don't need the noise!
>
> I thought it was an exageration, when people told me, that it is so
> loud. I couldn't imagine, that a company, that charges three times the
> price of an equivalent computer with Linux on it, could dare to produce
> so lousy boxes. So I bought the computer and now I deeply regret it.
>

> Re
> Phil

I don't know about the fans Apple is using, but I had a similar problem with
my Linux box running an Athalon 1.8 Ghz.  I ended up changing the fans on
both the processor and the case.

I don't have a new wind tunnel Mac (I must make do with my DP 800 with
superdrive, which is damn quiet even with two HDs), but has anyone looked
into the fans that are being used?

The Build-Your-Own PC crowd has been looking at noise issues for ages, so I
would investigate their research.

Which brings me to my snotty point:

If you think your mac is loud, try a P4 or an Athalon.  Holy Crap! you have
to bury the machine in sound deadening to hear yourself think.  If noise is
important to you, expect to buy a much more expensive case for your PC, plus
more expensive fans.

I personally have just given up and become Zen about the white noise.  Then
again, I have a DP Mac, 2 PIII Linux boxen, a PI Linux Router and an Athalon
box all within 10 feet of each other;  oh, and some ear plugs for bad days
:)

Just adding some more "noise" to the discussion,

Morgan Reed