[X Newbies] Changing The DNS Connection

Kevin Stevens Kevin_Stevens at pursued-with.net
Tue Dec 3 12:08:59 PST 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The "Automatic" network location is wonderful but I think it's a little too
> smart for me.  At home, my Powerbook G4 is connected via an Apple airport to
> our Earthlink DSL line.  (The Airport does the PPPoE.)  When I go to my day
> job, I sleep my powerbook, ride here on my bike and connect to a 100BT
> ethernet.  I'm online instantly - very cool.
>
> However, according to our IT guru, it seems I am still connected to the
> Earthlink DSL Domain Name Server (DNS) or something like that.  Thus,
> internal company IP addresses which we have set up here, for instance our
> email server, do not "resolve" to the desired company servers.
>
> Some times it seems to have switched to our internal DNS, but I don't know
> what causes it to switch.  Logging out and back in does not help; probably a
> restart would.
>
> I would appreciate if someone could correct my partial explanations, and
> explain to me how to understand and control this (preferably using something
> which is quick and AppleScript-able).

I suspect you have the Earthlink DNS server manually configured in your
Ethernet settings.  When you go to work, you get new address, gateway, and
DNS information offered to you by the DHCP server; however, since yours is
manually configured it ignores the corporate DNS offering.

Check and see if a Earthlink DNS server is manually entered, and if so
remove it (would be named ns1.earthlink.net or similar). If that fixes the
problem at work, but breaks the ability to resolve names at home, then you
have to compromise somehow - you could create different locations for work
and home under Network Settings, or find a way to script adding and
removing the Earthlink DNS setting as you suggest.

KeS