[X Newbies] Removing Apps?

Michael Winter michael-winter at uiowa.edu
Tue Dec 10 10:10:18 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 09:48  AM, paulatx1 at aol.com wrote:

> Yes  in OS 9  parts were put everywhere.

I guess I disagree with this. For most applications there is a folder
containing the application, and a preference file. No different than
most OS X applications. Yes, in OS X that folder can be a bundle which
is no different with respect to deleting it.

>  But  in OS X   if parts are being put everywhere...they are being
> quite well hidden.

Do you have iTunes installed?

The application is in the /Applications folder
There's an iTunes folder in /Library/Application Support
There's an iTunes folder in ~/Library
There are 3 (on mine) com.apple.iTunes/xxxxx files in
~/Library/Preferences

Multiply the last two by the number of users on the computer who have
used iTunes.

In OS 9 (IIRC) there's the application folder, two extensions, and a
Preference file. Three places to look as opposed to a minimum of 4 in
OS X.

-Mike