[X Newbies] Brand New G4 Disc Start up

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Sat Nov 23 15:42:48 PST 2002

You can start-up from the installer disk; however, you do not have a
full user environment. When starting from the install disk, you can run
the Disk Utility program to check, repair or erase your hard drive, you
can reset a password in most configurations, and you can install or
reinstall your OS X system. What you cannot do includes connecting to
the internet, checking e-mail, running iPhoto, and just about all other
activities.

So, in the scenario you described, you can start up from the installer
disk and make the repairs and reinstall the operating system.

Norm
On Saturday, November 23, 2002, at 10:26  AM, Albert W D'Amanda wrote:

> On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 02:39 PM, Chris Foote wrote:
>
>> No, you can't start up from the install disk.
>
> Hello
> I am following this with interest on a "new" G4 option
>
> I pose this scenario from a "newbie", potential , new Apple convert
> perspective.
>
> What you are saying is that I go to CompUSA, buy this G4 mini tower
> for $1694( no monitor)  .
> It has one internal drive with OS X.2 pre installed ; and it comes
> with an installation disc that is not bootable. OK
>
> I get it home . Power line surges corrupts my box, OK
>
> How do I then boot up to reinstall  ? . Wait for "GODOT " to show up?
> And while I am waiting I can use it as an expensive paper weight
>
>  Is it any wonder that Apple is in financial trouble!
> And why my daughter went for a Dell System!
>
> albert
>
> B&W Yosemite
> Apple since 1985

> <X-Newbies-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
> Need help from a real person? Try.
> <X-Newbies-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

> http://macinternetaccess.com
>
> DVIator   | Run Dual ADC displays on your G4 or just one on an older
> Mac! Dr. Bott  | <http://www.drbott.com/prod/DVIator.html>
>
>   Support   | Support this list by clicking here before you buy!
>  this List  |  http://www.themacintoshguy.com/support.html

> http://www.osxfaq.com

Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com