[X Newbies] Disappearing subject line in Sent Mail?

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Thu Aug 14 16:33:03 PDT 2003

First, from MacintoshLady's original post, I didn't realize that the
problem wasn't the drag and drop, but the maintenance of the text in
the Subject field once the message was sent. That is a different issue,
albeit related somewhat to drag and drop. In fact, as noted below, I
agree that Mail doesn't maintain the dragged text in the subject field
when it was placed there by drag and drop.

Second, I certainly wasn't being dismissive. I tried to do what it
appeared ML was doing and the text dragged and stayed in the subject
field. I didn't subsequently send the message until later when I
confirmed the problem. By this point a number of other posts dealing
with the issue had appeared and it seemed redundant to respond.

If you go back through the archives, you will see that I don't get
involved in being dismissive about people's posts, I try to help and I
don't participate in flame wars. I'm a bit offended to be accused of
doing something of that sort. I've been on this list since the beta
days and it bothers me how short-fused members of this list have become
over the past year or so.

Norm
On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 07:39  AM, Steve St-Laurent wrote:

> Sorry, Norm, it's NOT that clear-cut:
>
> 1. Blank message window.
>
> 2. Type a couple of words in the message area, making sure not to type
> a carriage return or any other character that would get blamed.
>
> 3. Highlight and drag to subject line. Heck, drag same from BBEdit
> with show-invisibles on just to be sure there is no carriage return.
>
> 4. Save as draft, send to yourself, whatever.
>
> 5. I consistently do not get the dragged subject saved, as Macintosh
> Lady described [OSX 10.2.6/Mail 1.2.5] and have had this problem
> through every iteration of Mail to date.
>
> There is a problem with this. Being so dismissive really isn't helpful.
Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

Confidentiality Note:  This message is intended for use only by the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error,  please contact the sender immediately and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
Thank you.