[X Newbies] A Server or not a Server?

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon Aug 18 16:52:41 PDT 2003

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 10:04:34AM -0400, Andy Caldwell, AIA wrote:
:
: A simple question:
:
: What are the advantages of buying a server (such as an X-Serve) over
: simple file sharing?  (other than the obvious web-hosting and
: mail-hosting capability)
:
: We're upgrading our office to new OSX machines soon.  Currently we
: have an old 8500 that's got all the office files on it's hard drive.
: Not a true server, just file sharing for 6 other computers on the
: network.

A file server doesn't require much CPU.  Getting an Xserve may be
overkill for your needs.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/