TCP/IP broken in Classic

Jeff Rothfus saranac.tv at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 18 10:16:11 PST 2003

I'm still struggling with my installation of OS 10.1 on an AGP graphics
G4/350 tower.

I've run Norton SystemWorks, DiskWarrior, Disk First Aid and Repair
Permissions, and I still have two serious problems:

[1] Native TCP/IP (internet) applications work great when booted into
their native OS, either OS 9.2.2 or OS 10.1 --- but I can't get Classic
applications (e.g. Claris E-mailer) which work great under OS 9.2.2 to
connect to the the internet when running under Classic in OS X.

The G4 is sitting on an Ethernet hub, and Classic apps don't show any
activity light on the hub when running in OS X.  Native OS X applications
(e.g. IE and Netscape) connect fine in OS X, and Classic applications
connect fine in OS 9.2.2.

[2] I can't select an alternate Startup Disk when booted into OS X.
When using OS 10.1's System Preferences 'Startup Disk' panel, the new
selection doesn't "take".  To get back into OS 9.2.2 I must first boot
from an OS 9 CD-ROM, and then use the CD-ROM Control Panel to select an
OS 9 hard drive.

I would appreciate any suggestions.  I dread doing a full backup and
clean install without first having explored every other avenue.

Thanks!

jeff