Hard Disk Icons in OS X

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Dec 19 12:26:55 PST 2003

> From: Jeff Rothfus <saranac.tv at worldnet.att.net>
> I'm sure you've seen the icons.  I'm just not describing them properly
>
> The "metal" drive icon is the photo-realistic image of a bare hard
> drive
> which is familiar to all OS X users.
>
> The "white" icon looks like the white case of an external USB floppy
> and
> is commonly seen as the icon for Disk Copy's mounted disk images.

The "bare drive" icon indicates that it is a built-in (internal) drive,
or is supposed to anyway.
The "white drive" icon indicates that the system believes this to be a
removable drive (CD, Zip, USB external)
An "orange drive" icon indiciates that the drive is a Firewire drive.

_Chas_

http://www.orlandocitybeat.com
The one-stop guide to Orlando art, culture, nightlife and more.