Hard time with iSync

Mariano Kamp mkamp at gmx.de
Fri Dec 26 05:16:18 PST 2003

Hi,

  the reason for buying a powerbook was iSync.

  Now that I am using iSync, I am not to sure if it is already meant for
production. The quality looks pre-beta to me.

  I am using it for three days and it gave me a message four times that
the database is corrupted, it is not syncing my calendar anymore (even
if it says so in the settings) and it crashs quite frequently.

 The crashing is the worst part and for me, as a software developer, it
is quite clear that they don't spend time on serious Q+A.

  I get a message saying something like that: This program has died, but
all is fine as the system is still up and nothing else is affected. When
looking at the kernel messages it says a crash dump has been written.
That is the OSX equivalent to a core dump, right? The crash report says
that it can't read some .plist file as it is not UTF-8 and damn right it
is. This was likely the xml parser saying that and the file is a mess.
There is only a random chunk of memory in it. I believe to remember that
I've seen some of my emails in there.

  Anyway iSync alternates messing up the bt or palm config and when I
removed the smashed file and recreate the configuration it works again
for some minutes.

  I am using the latests software form their website (iSync, iCal, Palm
Desktop/HotSync). Also using panther with all updates applied.

  Anybody caring to share experiences?

Cheers,
Mariano