[X Newbies] Crash city

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Fri Feb 14 12:01:12 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "TheMacintoshLady" <TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net>
To: "Mac OS X Newbies" <X-Newbies at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [X Newbies] Crash city

> Joe Ellis tapped out this message on 2/14/2003 1:10 PM
[snip] previous stuff
> "TheMacintoshLady"
> Because as a member of this list I have the right to discuss X-bootable
> issues
> and the different configurations that new machines might have with X on
> them. And like others, I was misled into thinking it was something it was
> not, and asked how I could install X from these combo CDs onto one
> partition, and 9 on the other if it is necessary to have X before using
> those 9 CDs.....since my newest 9.2.1 Universal one won't work at all.
>
> Now then, why are YOU taking up bandwidth here? :-)

I'm taking up bandwidth here because I like to try to help people who are
NEW [Mac OS X Newbies] to OS X. And I think you may be missing something
here; in order to run Classic in OS X you MUST HAVE a fully bootable OS 9
System Folder present. The OS 9 System folder HAS TO RESIDE in the SAME
PARTITION as OS X. The fact that you can go into Startup disk and select it
to start up seperately is just there because the folder EXISTS. If you have
another partition on your hard drive all you have to do to make it bootable
in OS 9 is copy the System Folder into it. Drag and Drop no muss no fuss
(note: This will work for the OS 9 System folder, but for OS X you need to
use something like CCC or Retrospect.). The reason your newest 9.2.1
Universal won't work is (this is just a guess on my part, I have no way to
confirm it.) that the boot ROM on the new machines only contains
instructions to look for an OS X system file and will not recognize an OS 9
System Folder except when told to by the PRAM which requires you boot to X
set your OS selection in Startup and restart. If you want to confirm this,
you have NEW machines so you are entitled to Apple Phone Tech Support. Call
them and get the straight skinny from them.

'nuff said.
Joe Ellis