[X Newbies] Crash city

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 14 14:13:48 PST 2003

Joe Ellis tapped out this message on 2/14/2003 3:01 PM

>I'm taking up bandwidth here because I like to try to help people who are
>NEW [Mac OS X Newbies] to OS X. And I think you may be missing something
>here; in order to run Classic in OS X you MUST HAVE a fully bootable OS 9
>System Folder present.

And I do...that was not the question.

>The OS 9 System folder HAS TO RESIDE in the SAME
>PARTITION as OS X.

In order to run Classic from within X yes.

>The fact that you can go into Startup disk and select it
>to start up seperately is just there because the folder EXISTS.

Yes I know that.

> If you have
>another partition on your hard drive all you have to do to make it bootable
>in OS 9 is copy the System Folder into it. Drag and Drop no muss no fuss
>(note: This will work for the OS 9 System folder, but for OS X you need to
>use something like CCC or Retrospect.).

OK, I wanted to keep it separate and I suppose I could try that. I know
how to make partitions and install separately with my X and 9 disks...on
other machines, but wanted to keep the applications that ran in X with X,
but wonder why there is an alias to them from 9.....do I need to copy
those into the 9 folder?

> The reason your newest 9.2.1
>Universal won't work is (this is just a guess on my part, I have no way to
>confirm it.) that the boot ROM on the new machines only contains
>instructions to look for an OS X system file and will not recognize an OS 9
>System Folder except when told to by the PRAM which requires you boot to X
>set your OS selection in Startup and restart.

Yep seems that way. That is what they said.....that is how they control
it usually, the ROM.

> If you want to confirm this,
>you have NEW machines so you are entitled to Apple Phone Tech Support. Call
>them and get the straight skinny from them.

I didn't want to confirm it with myself, I knew it, I just wanted to
explain it to those who doubted it on this list...and then someone
accused me of bitching to which I smile since sorting all this out could
seem like bitching because there was never so much to sort out as
now.......<sigh>

== : 0