[X Newbies] Two question: AP and Entourage

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Thu Jul 24 21:37:59 PDT 2003

At 12:17 AM -0400 7/25/03, Watrat wrote:
>  If I understand you correctly I would simply need a WAP plugged
>into my router?

Yes

>   If I just need the wireless aspect for my one powerbook, should I
>return my Belkin wireless router and

There's no reason why the Belkin shouldn't be able to do what you
need though unless its wireless component is substandard or the
distance between the router location and the desired signal is
outside of its spec. In which case it is practical to have the router
at one desired or mandated location, and a separate WAP at a more
location that is more practical as the origin of the wireless
network. Bear in mind that you should also be able to disrefard the
other features of the Belkin and just use it s WAP functionality.
You's do this by turning off its ability to give out IP addresses
(DHCP server off) and plug the patch cable into its "LAN" side, if it
has a multi-port switch capability. I'm generalising as I have no
specific experience with the Belkin product.

>   This is for my small business and would run the cabling to where I
>want it to be?
>The Belkin now tends to be spotty when I am away from the base station.
>Should I remove the 64 bit encryption or will that totally leave my
>computers wide open?

I'd at least test the range with it turned off. Not necessarily with
the intent to leave it unprotected in normal operation, but to get a
feel for how much the range is compromised by the security. If it is
compromising your range in an unacceptable way then you might have to
start comparing that specification for different WAPs. Or consider
different ways of extending range - antennae, location, higher-rated
equipment, etc.
--
Any sufficiently complex network comes, in time, to seem like an
independent entity. - Gregory Benford