[X Newbies] adding fonts

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 22:07:15 PDT 2003

Florin Alexander Neumann tapped out this message on 7/24/2003 7:19 PM

>(2) To which things do you refer? Stability? Ability to integrate in a
>network? Ability to protect resources from unauthorized users?

>> the multi user thing just complicates matters for me
>> For example: [...]

>You gave 3 examples, all of them dealing with OS 9. How is that
>supposed to exemplify the complications "the multi user thing" creates
>for you?

On my OS 9 and earlier stability is great, networking is simplest.
Unauthorized users are not an issue...as I explained. Cable wasn't bad to
hook up, worked the same....the only X machine shares a cable connection
with a 9 machine.
But I don't like having to put a password in just to change a preference
or having the address book add my name to everything without permission.

>IMHO, it's precisely when dealing with elderly users (with their
>specific problems) that X is better than 9. I'm finally dealing with a
>stable system; I can set it up so that the user doesn't install
>something by mistake or compromise the system by deleting something by
>mistake; I have logs to show me what's going on; etc.

Logs? Those are a joke.
And, it's a lot harder to direct them to a folder when there are many
instances of that folder. In one case I did a search for something that
came up with 403 instances of the word. Just seeing that will cause one
fellow I know to say "I can't do this it's too hard". People are
impatient and get frustrated easily and won't try again. I started
walking him through adding names to a buddy list last week and he said he
would do it another time, it was too hard.....Ok so the man is 82, but do
you really think he would find X easier ? I don't. The next time he was
in the mood he called and we accomplished it but it took about 30
minutes....
Don't get me wrong, I am patient and don't refuse anyone, but I do see
how the general public who are not computer buffs such as on these lists,
do not necessarily absorb the information.

This evening I had a call from a woman who is NOT elderly, is
professional, and who works. She could not understand why she was not
printing...she just could not wait for a page of what looked like text
but was really graphics to spool to the printer and so she
canceled..........when she attempted to print again, of course the queue
was giving her trouble and no one ever has the common sense to STOP the
printer, delete the file and start over again. It's one of the MOST asked
questions I get, over and over again. These folks have been using
computers for 6 or more years. This is why I dread having to deal with
the X system of adding a printer the Windows way.......it just seems so
old fashioned.