[X Newbies] Organizing Fonts (was Installing Fonts)

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Mon Jul 28 21:28:04 PDT 2003

On Monday, Jul 28, 2003, at 14:54 Canada/Eastern, David Boag wrote:

> what utilities people use so that when I look at my font list, the
> Hiroshige Bold isn't under "B" but that all of the Hiroshige font
> family can be found under "Hiroshige."

This is the result of incorrect style merging when the font was
created. Adobe Type Reunion was used under 9 to fix this. Under OS X
you could use a font manager, such as Suitcase, but, if you're not a
graphic designer, it's not something you'd want to get into.

There are several OS 9-only tools which you can use to fix the font
(ProCreation, StyleMerger, or the suite of font tools still freely
available from Apple), but it may be too much trouble for you. If you
can find a copy of StyleMerger somewhere (this was a tool bundled with
Fontographer), that's fairly easy to use. Otherwise, you'd be better
off by getting the TrueType version of the font.