[X Newbies] Phone Number Mystery

TheMacintoshLady TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 3 16:47:33 PST 2003

RevBluejeans . tapped out this message on 3/3/2003 6:31 PM

> I think that is a misdirection. Consider, for instance, Freecell from
>Microsoft. It generally comes with XP, but that doesn't make it part of
>the OS per se. Similarly, Appleworks is not part of the OS, though it is
>an Apple app. Continuing along that line TextEdit is also not part of the
>Mac OS X. X is only the operational system. I wouldn't consider the Chess
>program that comes with OS X any more a part of the OS than I would Text
>Edit. Just a thought. Considering what you paid for it, what a bargain! :->

OK fair enough...now here's a question for you:

I recently dumped a lot of my pref files. I just went over to the X
machine and found that something had again "taken" it over. I made sure
that automatic QT and Software updates are turned OFF. Is there a central
location from which to turn off INDEXING?

If so I can't seem to find it.