[X Newbies] Oops! Another Samba Panic

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 19:57:07 PST 2003

At 6:11a -0800 2003.02.13, Bill Reburn wrote:
>I would also say though, if you KNOW that this bug exists and you have
>confirmed it - why not use that against the problem? Instead of letting it
>screw you over everytime.
>
>If you need a lot of access, setup a shortcut for the access and when you
>are done doing what you need to do on the Windows server, drop the
>connection. Maybe put a sticky note or something somewhere - sorry I really
>don't understand how you keep forgetting to disconnect, considering the
>headache it's causing you.

Hey, it's time to go! Can't miss my train! OK - close all apps,
disconnect all USB, take Palm from cradle, but...

There are two things that it is really easy to forget:
1) Six hours ago, you mounted a network share to get one file from
our software repository out in secure storage in NJ. The icon is on
my desktop. But you use my desktop only occasionally for file
management (LaunchPad & Terminal are your friends) and it's usually
not even visible. So the share goes un-unmounted.
2) Print jobs which are en route to a network printer, particularly
the very complex, tabloid-sized, full-colour ones that take a year
and a day to process. Oh, that's so easy to forget as you unplug that
durned network cable...
--
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is
dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I