[X Newbies] jpegs, etc.

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Wed May 14 07:14:12 PDT 2003

The standards body states that jpeg refers to a family of algorithms
with a variety of formats. That's fine. But - in my experience - this
is a distinction without a difference. The standards group goes on to
say in their faqs (quoted below), that a de-facto jpeg standard _has_
emerged_ for internet use, and that, Florin, is good enough for me and
probably for most newbies as well.

Though I have to again qualify my remarks with "in my experience", all
files I have encountered that claimed to be in jpeg formats were
readable by apps that claimed to read jpeg files. Specifically, all
browsers read jpegs, and all the image viewers I have used can handle
jpegs with ease and flexibility. Office-type apps can also handle jpeg
images.

My "arsenal" of PictureViewer, Graphics Converters, Safari, IE, and
Navigator stands ready to handle any jpeg file hurled at it!

Jon

(Thanks for the link.)