[X Newbies] jpegs, etc.

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Wed May 14 07:56:58 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 22:49 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

> Thanks for your input. I can't seem to get Photoshop to open
> PictureViewer
> images though. I need to make color corrections, etc. in Photoshop with
> any images. I could open Simpletext images right up in Photoshop, but
> Simpletext is not available in X. I can use it through Classic, but
> once
> OS 9 goes away, I need to know what to do with PictureViewer.

There's some confusion here. There is no PictureViewer or SimpleText
image format. In this respect, both PV and ST are essentially front
ends for QuickTime. Under OS X, the overall job of displaying images
has been relegated to Preview.

You should be able to open with Photoshop virtually any PICT, JPEG,
TIFF or GIF file you are able to view with PictureViewer, either under
Classic or under X. The technique is simple and has been mentioned
before: just drag-and-drop the respective file on the Photoshop
application icon. (You can place an alias of Photoshop in some
convenient place on the desktop, or in the Dock.) Of course, you can
still open the file from inside Photoshop with the File>Open... command.

In some instances, Photoshop can't open JPEG files, either because it
gets confused (as you described earlier, and Jon pointed out how to fix
it), or because it's an older version which doesn't support a newer
compression algorithm or the file format. In this case, Thorsten
Lemke's superb tool GraphicConverter often helps: use GC to open the
respective file and save it as TIFF, then open it in Photoshop by
drag-and-drop and edit it to your heart's content. If you have a whole
CD of such images, GC can do batch conversions.

> Why can't a jpeg just be a jpeg?

Well, first because there is no such thing as a 'just a JPEG'; second,
because standards evolve to match evolving technology; third, because
some programmers may wish to add capabilites that are not provided for
in the format most commonly used. (As a web designer, I'm sure you know
about that more than I do.) The way to get around this is to
communicate with your clients and make sure they supply you with images
in a format your software can read.

>> A problem in PC to Mac transfers is often the compression method used
>> on the dark side machine.

Zip is a popular format on Windows, just as StuffIt is on Mac. You
should have no problem in manipulating Zip archives with StuffIt -- the
standard edition allows you to compress as well as expand Zip; and, on
the Win side, there is a free StuffIt Expander, which your clients can
use to expand archives you send them. However, you should be aware that
it's counterproductive to compress JPEG or MPEG files (as well as some
TIFF files) -- they are already compressed, and you only waste time
zipping or stuffing them.