Norton SystemWorks 3.0 for Mac?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Nov 12 06:24:52 PST 2003

> From: Paul Korntheuer <paul at rarefaction.com>
>
> Can anyone recommend Norton's SystemWorks for Mac 3.0?

I'm sure someone can, but not me. I've withdrawn my support of
Norton/Symantec products because of numerous difficult-to-diagnose,
annoying problems with installed versions of
SystemWorks/Utilities/Anti-Virus etc.

Norton tends to work find when booted off the CD, but the minute it's
installed on the HD, you get weird problems.

I'd suggest DiskWarrior 3 or Drive10/Tech Tool Pro in its stead.

>  I'm in need of
> some serious hard disk defrag'ing and virus protection.

You're not in serious need of virus protection. Nobody who runs Mac OS
X is. There aren't any viruses for this platform. Which is not to say
you should not buy and use an anti-virus program, just saying that
there's no pressing need for one. That could, of course, change
someday.

DiskWarrior 3 does not do defragging. Drive 10 does. Panther does to
some extent (ie it's built into the system).

_Chas_
"Though Apple continues to insist that its Power Mac systems are
desktops, their features and performance outstrip those of any
mainstream PC desktop. In comparison with dual-processor PC
workstations, Apple can claim both performance and price leadership."
-- Microprocessor Watch