[X Newbies] blue screen infinity

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Mon Oct 20 19:57:35 PDT 2003

On Monday, Oct 20, 2003, at 18:16 Canada/Eastern, John Lowther wrote:

> They're just not working, and I'm not getting the promised screens....

Not everything works all the time; especially for neophytes.

You tried those solutions (including resetting the NVRAM, I assume) and
still can't boot off the hard disk? (Presumably, you have only one? --
You were very spare with specific details.) Then boot off an alternate
drive, i.e., your CD-ROM drive. Use the OS X CD, the OS 9 CD, the 8.6
CD that came with your B&W, whatever. Success? -> You have a disk
corruption problem. Use a disk utility to try to fix it, re-install the
OS, or (what may very well be best in the long run) reinitialize the
drive and restore everything from the backup. Failure? -> You have a
hardware problem. You need to roll up your sleeves and crack open the
candy box.