[X Newbies] PAP on CUPS with Printer:LWSelect300 /serial printing

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 28 18:43:37 PST 2003

On 29/10/03 0:23, "Florin Alexander Neumann" <alexn at ica.net> wrote:

> On Monday, Oct 27, 2003, at 21:27 Canada/Eastern, Cyril Blanc wrote:
>
>> My PLW300 is not 10 year old I have bought it less than 5 year ago and
>> I am
>> still on it¹s first tone cartridge.
>> Shame is on Apple not to provide upward
>> compatibility of it¹s own printers !
>
> Get real. Apple is not a charitable NGO, it's a business whose raison
> d'etre is to generate profit for its shareholders. Period. It cannot
> profitably support obsolete peripherals -- especially if you can
> replace them reasonably cheaply. You can buy an OS X-compatible printer
> -- with colour and higher resolution -- for less than EUR 80.

Apple is making big profit at the moment.
I can see that you are not a computer wizard, you speak of the printers at
80 Euro. First it is not a Laser for that price, it is an inkjet printer
where the cost per page printed is VERY high. When you speak of Laser
printer you can do 5000 pages with a 80 Euro toner cartridge (0.016 Euro per
page).
The cost per page printed on an Inkjet is more than 15 cents so the cost of
5000 pages is 750 EURO

>> If you visit :
>> http://www.geethree.com/StealthPanther.html
>
> And you will also notice that not only is the Stealth Serial Port USD
> 49 -- not much less than a new printer -- but you also have to discard
> the internal modem to use it. Even if a printer driver did exist, I
> doubt that it would constitute an attractive proposition.
Same reply than above !
The HP replacement of the APLW 300 is around 400 euro

Best regards

Cyril Blanc
France

Please sign the petition ³Apple to support APPLE LaserWriter 300 in MAC OS
X²
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Ap1c1/petition.html

If you want to be sure I read your answer leave my name in it !
Spam mails are directly going to trash