[X Newbies] Trouble with mail.app

J themacintoshlady at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 29 19:46:28 PST 2003

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 06:29  PM, Norman Cohen wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2003, at 12:13 AM, J wrote:
>
>> I am having some trouble with mail.app and wonder if I missed any
>>
>> One account does not pick up, and sometimes it gives me the "not
>> allowed on port 110" error.
>> Other times, it keeps wanting to send from mac.com when I have
>> deleted that smtp a zillion times.
>> And other times, when forwarding spam, it just quits on me.
>> And today I could have sworn I saw it give a message that said
>> something to the effect of "gathering up the children". HUH? :-)

> Which version of Mail.app are you referring to? Jaguar? Panther? Is
> mac.com your Internet Service Provider (ISP) or are you using someone
> else such as Earthlink, comcast, etc.?

First, thanks for answering Norm. It's the one with Jaguar and I'm
using 10.2.6.
I do not use mac.com, but I manage about 50 domains/various ISP
accounts (ELN is but one of them)  using Comcast.

>> My other question is, has anyone purchased the new iChatAV and did
>> they solve the mute button and adding buddy problem? I don't want to
>> pay for it for this machine if those things have not been fixed.
>> It think it should come already installed in system 10.3 machines.

> If you have Panther (10.3), you have the new iChat AV.

Yes I said I realized that on Panther the new iChat AV would be
installed on it, so not worried about new machines I will get this
coming year.........but I don't have it yet on the other machines that
have Jaguar, and was considering getting it if the commercially
available one was OK, depending on what any of you had to say about it.

>  You only need to separately purchase it if you are continuing to run
> Jaguar (10.2) and want the voice and video capability, since the beta
> for iChat AV is expiring soon.

Yes...I understand this, but my question was, did they fix all the bugs?

>  I haven't had any problems with muting or adding buddies with
> Panther's iChat AV.

Well, hopefully this will be so in the one you can buy.
The one I have now behaves bizarrely when I try to add a buddy that has
IMed me out of the blue and won't work until I add it to the address
book manually, and then add it.

Also, you can't talk but for more than 1minute and you have to use the
MUTE button to clarify the voice which gets muzzy.