[X Newbies] Trouble with mail.app

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Wed Oct 29 20:20:23 PST 2003

More comments below:
On Oct 29, 2003, at 7:46 PM, J wrote:

>> I am having some trouble with mail.app and wonder if I missed any
>>
>> One account does not pick up, and sometimes it gives me the "not
>> allowed on port 110" error.
>> Other times, it keeps wanting to send from mac.com when I have
>> deleted that smtp a zillion times.
>> And other times, when forwarding spam, it just quits on me.
>> And today I could have sworn I saw it give a message that said
>> something to the effect of "gathering up the children". HUH? :-)
I had a number of rather bizarre behaviors with Jaguar mail from time
to time. I have found that Panther mail hasn't been giving me the
problems with difficulty connecting to my 7 or 8 e-mail accounts. I did
have one problem with the CocoAspell service causing problems with
Mail; however, once identified, Mail has run very, very well.

> Yes...I understand this, but my question was, did they fix all the
> bugs?

Well, I don't know if ALL the bugs are fixed (in fact I think that
unlikely), but I've noticed a significant improvement in audio and
video quality. I have not noticed the sound becoming muffled, although
I did have that problem with the iChat beta.
> Well, hopefully this will be so in the one you can buy.
My understanding is that the one for sale is the same as the one
available in Panther. You just get it for free as part of the upgrade.
> The one I have now behaves bizarrely when I try to add a buddy that
> has IMed me out of the blue and won't work until I add it to the
> address book manually, and then add it.
I haven't had this happen so can't comment.

> Also, you can't talk but for more than 1minute and you have to use the
> MUTE button to clarify the voice which gets muzzy.

See above.

Good luck with your decision making.

Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com