[X Newbies] OSX not dial-up friendly

Gregory Cortelyou chefgreg at mac.com
Wed Sep 24 12:44:00 PDT 2003

On 9/24/03 12:24 PM, "Florin Alexander Neumann" <alexn at ica.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 11:09 Canada/Eastern, Deb Hagen wrote:
>
>>> System Preferences > Network > Internal Modem (or whatever modem
>>> you're using) > PPP > PPP Options > Disconnect if idle for n minutes.
>>
>> Why can't there just be a checkbox to "disconnect after getting the
>> mail" like I used to do in Outlook Express?
>
> Because getting mail is a function of Mail.app, not of the OS
> networking software. You don't buy railway tickets at the airport, you
> buy them at the railway station.
>
>> It seems that OE wins in this category, IMHO!
>
> So use OE -- or whatever mail client you like. It's got nothing to do
> with 'not dial-up friendly'.

Maybe I was doing something wrong all those years in 8 and 9 but the way I
remember it would have to connect first using my remote access button and
disconnect the same way. My mail application (OE) did not dial up for me.
Neither did my browser, except in my earliest years when I was still using
AOL. However, the "not dial-up friendly" aspect of OS X has much more to do
with other things. Like the HUGE software updates the system requires (by
the way 10.2.8 is running fine on my G4 with a DSL ethernet connection); the
online help; sherlock; itunes music store, etc. I myself could not think of
going back to dialup, but I know that many still do use it and OS X is not
optimally used with a dialup connection.
Greg