[X Newbies] Font Problems

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon Apr 12 08:54:09 PDT 2004

On Monday, Apr 12, 2004, at 06:48 Canada/Eastern, Chris Walker wrote:

> [...] The latest OSX version of the LJ2100 driver does not install any
> fonts -
> or at least that I can discern, although there is a copy of New Century
> Schoolbook that is recognised by some apps and not others and in fact
> does not appear in Fontbook although it is clearly visible in the fonts
> folder.

There are more than one fonts folders in OS X. Read "Using and Managing
Fonts in Mac OS X" at
<http://a544.g.akamai.net/7/544/51/737e7cbe59463a/www.apple.com/pro/
archive/creative/fonts/usingfontsinmacosx_l25032b.pdf> for an overview.

> [...] Why should a font in the fonts folder not appear in FontBook and
> appear
> in some (not all) apps;

What kind of font? Which apps? Note that OS X can use a variety of font
formats, but not the "Classic" Mac OS bitmap font format.

> Is it possible to simply drag across the appropriate font folders from
> 9
> to X

Folders?

>  or do I have to purchase the standard PS fonts separately?

You have to provide more details for a relevant answer. But in all
likelihood you shouldn't have to.