[X Newbies] FontBook in OS X

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon Apr 12 09:08:02 PDT 2004

On Monday, Apr 12, 2004, at 09:45 Canada/Eastern, Bruce Klutchko wrote:

> [...] When Fontbook
> resolves the duplicate font problem, it seems to opt in favor of the
> OS9
> font. Is this the best solution?

While native apps have access to fonts in all OS X fonts folders,
Classic apps can use only fonts in the selected System Folder. Knowing
this, what do you think -- is it the best solution?

> Also, if I deactivate certain fonts, when I reactivate them, the font
> conflicts reappear.

Say you have two fonts called "Helvetica Regular". The OS is in a
quandary: how can it tell which one you actually want to use? Solution:
Disable or remove one of them. Now, the OS has no more doubts and it's
happy. Enable one of them again. The OS is back on the horns of the
dilemma.

> Should some of the duplicate fonts be deleted [...]

Why, when you can manage them satisfactorily with Font Book?

> [...] we have multiple users, so I¹m reluctant to remove fonts from
> the general /System
> folder and leave them only in my user folder.

As a rule-of-thumb, leave /System strictly alone. If you want to
add/remove fonts for all users, do so in the /Library/Fonts/ folder, or
in the Classic fonts folder, if you still use Classic; for yourself,
use ~/Library/Fonts/. (See "Using and Managing Fonts in Mac OS X" for
an overview of font locations in OS X.) But, unless you're into
professional DTP, Font Book should take care of your needs. Another
rule-of-thumb. If your font collection is roughly below 200 fonts, Font
Book should do. If it's larger, your probably should starting thinking
about investing in a professional font manager, e.g. FontAgent Pro.