[X Newbies] FontBook in OS X

Bruce Klutchko klutch at erols.com
Mon Apr 12 10:55:50 PDT 2004

On 4/12/04 12:08 PM, "Alex" <alist at sprint.ca> wrote:

>> Should some of the duplicate fonts be deleted [...]
>
> Why, when you can manage them satisfactorily with Font Book?

Here's why: I have a couple of programs that seem to choke on certain fonts
(even ones without conflicts or duplicates). When I tried to run one of
them, I had already resolved the duplicates. Then I disabled a number of
fonts entirely (including, for example, Helvetica). When I finished that
program (it was some sort of installer), I reactivated Helvetica. Now the
conflict was back - so I had to go and resolve duplicates for Helvetica and
the other fonts I had disabled entirely.

It seems that deleting the extra Helvetica would end the problem. What I
really want to do is have a way to create two sets: one with Helvetica (but
with duplicates resolved) and another with Helvetica entirely disabled. I
don't see how to do this.

In this situation, I needed to disable about 50 fonts, so it took a while.
--
Bruce