[X Newbies] OT: "Propaganda"

Steven Rogers srogers1 at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 17 14:02:35 PDT 2004

On Apr 17, 2004, at 3:24 PM, Charles Martin wrote:

>> From: Steven Rogers <srogers1 at austin.rr.com>
>> Anyone who really respected the opinions of others wouldn't post those
>> kind of tag lines.
>
> I disagree. It's a celebration of the diversity of opinion, and a
> celebration of freedom of speech.

If that were the purpose, a sig like "Hooray for freedom of speech!"
would express it perfectly. The idea that posting your own personal
take on today's hot political topics is a "celebration of freedom of
speech" is a very arrogant rationalization.

>  I think that's something worth celebrating in every email, just as
> many millions of people give thanks to their god at every meal.

In their own home

> What's more, I think the sig lines help distinguish us as individuals
> in the blank, faceless forum of email/news. I can't think of any other
> reason why they are so popular.

Its not necessary to post highly partisan comments on current events to
distinguish yourself from the crowd. That's not the issue.

> Tell me, do you flag down cars on the highway with bumper stickers you
> disagree with and tell them how much their car offends you?

This is not a highway or a sidewalk or other public place.

> I suggest that you think of the sig as a bumper sticker and the post
> itself as the car. That should help you assign it the proper
> relevance.

I suggest you think of this list as a meeting room with "Mac Newbies"
on the door, the posts as discussion inside the room, and your (and any
other) sigs on current political issues as an outburst in an otherwise
orderly discussion.

The last time this happened to me in a physical setting was at a school
parent meeting where the school counselor took advantage of the meeting
to give a 2-3 minute outburst speech about how President Bush is
destroying our country. While we (both those for and against Bush) were
thinking "we didn't come here to listen to this!", he was no doubt
thinking that only his brilliant intellect could free us from the
prison of our own ignorance.

Your post shows exactly that kind of disregard for the list members'
purpose in coming here, plus the amazing arrogance to think that we
want or need to hear your take on today's hot political controversies.

SR